|Dr Chien-Wen Liew|
Chien-Wen Liew completed his Orthopaedic Advanced Training in Adelaide and then continued his training in UK, Europe and the USA. He specialises in muscle sparing approaches to the hip and knee, shoulder pathology, as well as sports injury and trauma.
His particular interest is in muscle sparing total hip replacements, where he completed a fellowship in Paris, France and has trained in this technique with world renowned surgeons in France, Switzerland, UK, USA and Australia. This approach is truly minimally invasive, requiring no cut to any muscle. Dr Liew has been involved in international collaborations with the direct anterior approach.
Dr Liew was recently welcomed as an Official Trainer of the Direct Anterior Approach for Total Hip Replacement Surgery, helping surgeons worldwide adopt the approach.
He is a member of the Australian Defence Force, being an Infantry Corps Platoon Commander for 10 years at 10/27 RSAR, and recently transferred to Medical Corps. He has a keen interest in fitness and sports.
- University of Adelaide
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, University of Adelaide (2004) (MBBS)
- Fellowship Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (2013) (FRACS)
- Post Fellowship Training
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- Environmental Protection Agency – Fluoroscan Qualified
- Hip Surgery – Performs Direct Anterior Approach Total Hip Replacement Surgery
- Knee Surgery – Utilises Patient Specific Technology for Total Knee Replacements
- Shoulder Surgery – Sports and Arthritis
- General Orthopaedics
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Australian Medical Association
- Medical Defence Australia
- Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- AO Trauma Membership
- Club Des Amis
PRIOR Public Appointments
- Visiting Medical Specialist Royal Adelaide Hospital
- EAST: Burnside Specialist Centre – 120 Kensington Road, Toorak Gardens
- NORTH EAST: North Eastern Community Hospital 580 North East Road Campbelltown
- NORTH: Nuriootpa Medical Centre – 6 Memorial Ave, Nuriootpa
- SOUTH: Southern Specialist Centre – 231 Main South Rd, Morphett Vale
- WEST: Health @ Hindmarsh – 334 Port Road, Hindmarsh
- Burnside Hospital
- Wakefield Hospital
- North Eastern Community Hospital
Apr 2016: Attended the Medacta MORE Hip and Knee Meeting in Switzerland, showcasing the most up to date research and techniques in relation to the Direct Anterior Approach for Hip Replacements and Patient Specific Technology for Total Knee Replacements
Apr 2016: Dr Liew instructed on Total Hip Replacements performed via the Direct Anterior Approach in Sydney in early April, conducting a cadaver lab for new surgeons adopting the approach.
Feb 2016: Due to increased demand on the West side of Adelaide, Dr Liew has opened a new clinic location at Health @ Hindmarsh (334 Port Road, Hindmarsh). This will increase the convenience for patients, and allow shorter waiting times to be seen.
Jan 2016: Dr Chien-Wen Liew was welcomed as an Official Instructor for the Direct Anterior Approach for Total Hip Replacement surgery. Through his prior educational commitment through the years, his expertise in this approach has proven to be useful to surgeons throughout Australia. Through this, he is qualified to teach surgeons worldwide.
Oct 2015: Dr Chien-Wen Liew was an invited guest speaker on the Direct Anterior Approach for Total Hip Replacement surgery during an online collaboration between France, USA and Australia. This unique seminar, highlighting surgeon education, was broadcast live, worldwide via the Vumedi platform.
Jul 2015: In aiming to improve accuracy and decrease infection rates, Dr Liew has adopted Disposable Instruments when performing Total Knee Replacements using Patient Specific Technology.
Jun 2015: Dr Liew attends the MORE symposium and cadaver training course as an invited instructor on the direct anterior approach for total hip replacement surgery.
Mar 2015: Dr Chien-Wen Liew has recently returned from the USA, where he was fortunate to attend the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He also participated in a collaboration in Denver, Colorado, in Advanced Techniques in the Direct Anterior Approach for Total Hip Replacement surgery.
Feb 2015: Due to popular demand, Dr Liew is now offering a regional clinic in the Barossa Valley, South Australia.
Sep 2014: Dr Chien-Wen Liew and Dr Robert Fassina raised almost $10,000 for Arthritis SA, supporting treatments and support for the management of arthritis.