It is less than 4 months until the AOTS Marathon Showcase.
All runners have been training hard! With the cold weather in full swing it is more important than ever to ensure that you have adequately warmed up prior to any intense activity. This includes dynamic stretching and static stretching. Being injury free is the key to success. Use these tips to help with your training.
- Warm up before any run
- Ice your knees for 20mins after any long runs over 10Km even if they have never had a problem.
- Stretch regularly – a few seconds regularly can reduce the chances of injury
- Buy a 2nd or 3rd pair of shoes – changing shoes protects your feet, and allows multiple shoes to be ready for action at any time.
- Take a day off – do not overtrain
- Drink plenty of water even when you are not training that day – stay hydrated!
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables – evidence shows that your immunity drops for a few hours after any intense activity.
- Be careful when you are training in the rain – don’t slip!
- Any painful niggles – avoid ignoring them. See a physiotherapist or doctor to avoid worsening injury.
Join our runners every saturday at Parkrun where you can chat to the doctors and physios, or just run with the group!
To make a donation to the AOTS cause, please go to: http://run.gofundraise.com.au/page/AOTS